Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Who are you?

I’m really new to this blogging business. I think my profile says I joined in April 2008 but I don’t know where that came from. My first post was in September. Since then I’m worried that I may have become slightly addicted. I really don’t want to be the first dog to go down in history as being addicted to blogging. That would be seriously embarrassing. I’d rather be remembered as a dog hero:

“Henry the Dog saves child from raging inferno”

“Henry the Dog fights off vicious muggers as they attack WWII war veteran”

“Henry the Dog saves drowning woman from storm thrashed seas”

Certainly NOT “Henry the Dog admitted to Priory for blog addiction”

Anyway, as is my way I’m digressing. I ask ‘Who are you?’ not because I want a definitive answer, it’s because I find it rather intriguing that since I started reading other blogs I’ve grown to feel kind of warm towards some of you people in the ‘blog community’ (please don’t feel alarmed – I’m not the stalking type). I feel as if I’m getting to know some folk and this is quite alien to me because normally us dogs make friends after having a good sniff of each other’s bottoms, giving each other the eye and, in my case, walking in a rather stiff-legged manner around any new dog who comes my way. However, in the blog community there’s none of that and it’s the first time I’ve struck up 'acquaintances' without physical contact.

It got me to thinking that some folk out there could actually be entirely different from how they portray themselves to be on their respective blogs. I mean, you can be anyone you want to be in the blogging world can’t you? I’m sure I’m not the first dog to have thought of this. I could have pretended that I WASN’T a dog – except that it wouldn’t have taken long for me to put my foot in it. I would have soon revealed my true self through my naivety, my penchant for bad smells and tummy tickles and my rather disparaging view of felines. Some folk out there could, however, be mad axe murderers posing under a blog title such as “Fluffy little kittens go blog” – you get my gist?

Anyway, I’m glad to be a part of the blogging community at the moment. It’s interesting. Some of the blogs are great fun, some are really informative, some are simply good to read. The trouble is, I’m starting to get a hard patch on my paw where my wrist rests on the table – the one that I operate the mouse with. Oh dear – is that the first sign of ‘blog addiction’?

17 comments:

meili_lo said...

hihi... u might be the first dog diagnosed with arthritis on your pointer paw. we humans call it pointer finger =D that's the one u use to click the mouse by the way...

Henry the Dog said...

Now that would be embarrassing for me wouldn't it?

amuse me said...

Henry - I think I'm in love -- you are so dogly-dog. And don't worry about being a stalker. I'd sniff you too to see what you had for lunch if we didn't live so far away. Across the ocean as it were.

My landlord is a nice person and an addicted blogger too. She looks quite lovely to the glow of her laptop shining off her glasses.

Thanks for visiting her blog. :)

Henry the Dog said...

Hi Meryl's musings - it's good to hear that I'm not alone in my addiction.

Laura Jayne said...

When you fall asleep with your paws on the keyboard... then it is time to take a break... at least a day or two, longer than that and you may develope a twitch.

Henry the Dog said...

laura jayne - now that made me laugh out loud :D

Laura Jayne said...

I only speak from regrettable experience. The only thing that woke me was the angry pinging from my keyboard as the YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
had reached its limit.

French Fancy... said...

Misty the bichon here - our mum is genuwin and she nearly looks like a bichon, except her hair is darker than ours. But she's little and fluffy and she snacks all the time, just like we do. Ooops, Poppy is pushing me out of the way...


Poppy the bichon here - All I want to tell you Henry is that once our mums get on to that machine they seem to forget all about us. We sit by her feet on our cushions and push her legs and then she knows she has to go and get something for us to eat. But since she changed her snacks to carrot sticks life is not so good for us dogs here.

Henry the Dog said...

Laura Jayne - stop it, honestly am aching from laughter. I can just imagine it.

Misty & Poppy - your mum sounds dead cute. My mum snacks all the time, then complains about having a big bum but I love her no matter what she looks like & so does Uncle Hugh - she also goes through raw carrot stage until she gets miserable then it's back to the cheese & chocolate - I'm not allowed chocolate but I LOVE cheese. I push against her legs too when I want some attention and sometimes I nibble her toes.

detroit dog said...

Hmmmmm....

I started blogging to deal with the grief after my dear Bastet died --- which was on my last day of work as a director of a cultural center, after not having paid myself for 6 months trying to keep the place alive, and after my aunt had a massive heart attack. Grief, stress, unemployment.

Now, I'm just trying "to find myself." I have a great arts resume, degrees, all that "high brow" stuff. But no job. So now I'm trying to make it as "just" an artist. 50+, married, no kids, musician/pharmacist hubby. We should be living in Barcelona.

But I love dogs.

I can't believe I just told you all this.

'fess up!

Henry the Dog said...

Detroit dog - I think that folks in the US are more open than anywhere else, and that's a nice thing. I'm working hard at dropping my 'british reserve'. I hope blogging has helped you.

Mum believes a lot in 'diversion' therapy'- i.e. taking up something new or changing your lifestyle in order to deal with grief or other sad moments - it's helped her with her own bereavements.

Stubby said...

Hi Henry - My name is Stubby and I am a blogging Pug. I too am addicted to blogging and my mom thinks I am crazy. So far I haven't developed any blogging injuries, but you just never know. My paws are very sensitive, especially since the weather is turning cold and it is starting to snow. Check out my blog at www.lifeofstubby.blogspot.com.

As Told By Ginger said...

Oh Henry, I must hurry and post this before my Mum comes home (I still have to figure out where she hid her slippers) but I wanted to say that I to am addicted to blogs! I don't blog myself but my Mum blogs daily and is always talking aloud, reading what she write or what others write. I love it when she reads your blog. I hope I'm not fueling your addiction but you're amazing. Opps better go before I get caught ;)

SSQuo said...

Henry Henry Henry!! You HAVE to be a dog and not some crazy 8-yr old loving peadophile! Please. (sad face)

meili_lo said...

hi again =) i tagged you in my blog. hope you can visit.

http://lifeworthremembering.blogspot.com/

thanks!

Lee said...

Who am I? That's a pretty broad sort of Q Henry and best left for others to tell you. I can open up and give a snippet or two after I have a few beers under my belt but truthfulness is suspect on such occasions. But what I can tell you is that I am not a dog. I have been called a dirty rotten swine but I dismiss that as I had just had a shower and most assuredly was not dirty. That's more than enough.

Henry the Dog said...

Wow! So many folk out there.
Stubby, will definitely visit your blog - probably after writing this. Hope your paws are feeling better. My mum loves pugs. There's one who lives in the local restaurant and he's called 'Attila'.

Anonymous girl - sounds like I have a fan! I think my head's swelling:)

ssquo - I'm definitely a dog and not anywhere close to being 8 years. That's ANCIENT!

Meili-lo - what's 'tagging' mean? Will visit and try and figure out.

Lee - I've been called worse. Like your blog by the way.